Capacitor Discharge Welders (CD Welders) FOR SALE at Weld Systems Integrators
Perfect for Projection Welding of Fasteners to Hot Stamped Boron and Press Hardened Steel
What is Capacitor Discharge Welding?
Sometimes referred to as capacitive discharge or CD welding, capacitor discharge welding, stores energy from a capacitor bank for extremely fast release of energy with large peak currents. Using stored energy, welding times are short and concentrated. This results in more energy into weld formation and less into heating the surrounding material. Furthermore, the heat affected weld zone, where the properties of the metal have been changed is smaller. This minimizes changes in the metallurgy of the workpiece.
Weld Systems Integrators, a capacitor discharge welding machine manufacturer, has proven results and welding solutions for tough-to-weld materials and applications.
Weld Systems Integrators manufacturers capacitor discharge spot welding machines for a variety of processes, including projection welding of fasteners to hot stamped boron steel. We manufactured our first capacitor discharge resistance welder in 2007. That CD welder is still in production today. And continues to make great welds and great parts. Through the years, we’ve had OEM’s, Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers bring parts to our Welding Lab and we have demonstrated consistent results.
WSI CD welders are MADE IN THE USA at our Warrensville Heights, OHIO location. Give us a call for IN-STOCK inventory.
FASTENER WELDING – THE CHALLENGE:
- Fasteners are extremely soft compared to the base material.
- Hot-Stamp Materials develop AlSi coating in the furnace.
- Resistive qualities of AlSi coating are inconsistent across the part.
- Short Weld Times called for in projection welding makes it difficult to deliver enough heat to the base material, often vaporizing the projections without welding.
- Consistent projection welding is difficult with most processes, and even with many Capacitor Discharge Welding machines!
|A M8 nut welded to 2-mm boron.||A M6 nut welded to 2-mm boron.|
What is Capacitor Discharge Welding?
CD Welding Solution: WSI has over 10 years of proven results with tough-to-weld applications. This includes projection welding fasteners to Hot-Stamped, High-Boron AlSi-Coated parts! WSI Capacitor Discharge Welders can make good welds 100% of the time.
- Low primary power requirement, relative to resistance welding.
- No Peak Energy Billing.
- 99.9% Power Factor means virtually no wasted welding current.
- Very fast weld time (typically under 10ms).
- Ultra-Fast Rise Time welds fast while minimizing heat-affected zone (HAZ).
- Tooling Often Lasts 3-5 Times Longer than other processes.
- Maximum current draw of 30 Amps for the welding process.
- 60 Amps or less Single-Phase Primary Power required for a complete machine.
- 100,000+ Peak Amps in under 5 milliseconds.
- Fast Follow-up Design allows for instantaneous response to weld set-down.
- No Water Cooling Required for Power Supply and Control. Tooling may require minimal cooling depending on final specifications.
- Fully-Monitored for Process Confirmation and Maintenance.
- Easy to use HMI User Interface.
- Robust, Reliable, Consistent Process.
- Welds with WSI CD Welders can achieve up to 200% Required Torque and Push-Out Values.
- Over 10 years of Consistent, Proven Results.
- WSI CD Welders are designed around customer applications, and are not ‘cookie-cutter’ machines.
- Specifications are determined by WSI engineers in WSI’s own welding lab, setting the standard for the industry.
- WSI CD Welders are designed for safe, easy operation by human operators, or for ease of integration into robotic cells. Controls, safety circuits, and guarding are engineered to customer specifications.
- WSI Single, Dual, or Multi-Head Welders are easily integrated with nut/part feeders, and are perfect for nut farms, and other high-density manufacturing operations.
Stand Alone Pedestal Capacitor Discharge Welders
These space saving machines are capable of welding the toughest of materials. They can be integrated with nut/stud verification devices, automatic fastener feeders and air over oil systems.
|SINGLE STATIONARY HEAD||TWO SELECTABLE HEAD CONFIGURATIONS|
Multi-Station Capacitor Discharge Welders
For multiple weld, low volume parts that could require tooling changeover, look at a multi-station welder from WSI. Each station can be set up independently – while still sharing one power supply to recognize cost savings and efficiency.
|TWO SELECTABLE HEAD CONFIGURATIONS||THREE SELECTABLE HEAD CONFIGURATIONS|
* Custom head configuration based on application requirements.
- Mild and Stainless
- Tempered and Hardened
- TRIP (Transformation-Induced Plasticity) and DP (Dual-Phase)
- Hot-Stamped High-Boron Steels (like USIBOR®)
B. Coated Metal:
- AlSi-coated hot-formed parts
- Zinc / Tin Plated & Galvanized
C. Non-Ferrous Metal:
- Other Metal Alloys
D. Heat-Sensitive Joints – Close Proximity to:
- Low-Melting-Point materials like plastics
- Paint / Other coloring
Contact Weld Systems Integrators
CONTACT Weld Systems Integrators, or REQUEST A QUOTE for more information on our IN-STOCK welding equipment inventory. To speak with a WSI team member, please give us a call at 844-WSI-WELD or +1-216-475-5629.