Projection Welding of Fasteners to HOT STAMPED BORON and PRESS HARDENED STEELS
Weld Systems Integrators has proven results and welding solutions for tough-to-weld materials and applications.
Give us a call at 844-WSI-WELD or to learn more.
Fastener welding of weld nuts and studs can be difficult as they often are considerably softer than the 1500 MPa stamping. Due to the large change in hardness, the projections in the fastener will collapse prior to a good weld being made.
The end result is usually vaporized projections and extended weld times in an effort to forge the materials. When this type of weld process is incorporated, the end result is weak, inconsistent torque and push-out values.
As seen in BOOTH C12075 at FABTECH 2018.www.hotstampedboronsteel.com
Another concern is the consistency of the base material because the added strength is accomplished on-site. The influences observed were oven temperatures, heat cycle times, water flow rates, water temperatures, and quench times.
- Fasteners are extremely soft compared to the base material.
- Hot-stamp materials develop AlSi coating in the furnace.
- Resistive qualities of AlSi coating are inconsistent across the part.
- Short Weld Times called for in projection welding makes it difficult to deliver enough heat to the base material, often vaporizing the projections without welding.
- Consistent projection welding is difficult with most processes, and even with many Capacitor Discharge Welding machines!
Fastener welding from Weld Systems Integrators. WSI has over 10 years of proven results with tough-to-weld applications, like projection welding fasteners to HOT-STAMPED, HIGH-BORON AlSi-Coated parts! As shown at FABTECH 2018, our Capacitor Discharge Welding Welders can make good welds on press hardened steels, 100% of the time.
We manufactured our first Capacitor Discharge Resistance Welder (CD Welder) in 2007. That capacitor discharge resistance welder is still in production today making great welds and great parts. Through the years, we’ve had OEM’s, Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers bring parts to our Welding Lab and we have demonstrated consistent results.
For more information, give us a call at 844-WSI-WELD.
And don’t forget to ask about our upcoming WELDING SEMINAR: Projection Welding of Fasteners to HOT STAMPED BORON and PRESS HARDENED STEELS.